SKU (ISBN): 9780830845309
Paul Borthwick | Dave Ripper
Binding: Trade Paper
Publisher: InterVarsity Press
Part 1: Welcome To The Fellowship
1. Suffering Comes With The Territory
2. The Worst Suffering: Paul’s Story
3. Learning To Trust Anyway: Dave And Erin’s Story
Part 2: Fellowship With Christ
4. The Sun Comes From The Dark: Prayer Through Suffering
5. Becoming The Kind Of People The World Needs: Transformation Through Suffering
6. Not What I Expected: Joy Through Suffering
Part 3: Fellowship With Others
7. It’s Our Family: Solidarity Through Suffering
8. Pain As Common Ground: Neighboring Through Suffering
Part 4: Fellowship With The World
9. The Seed Must Die To Multiply: Mission Through Suffering
10. Are You Really Passionate? Calling Through Suffering
“That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings.” Philippians 3:10 (ASV)
If we follow Jesus, we will experience pain. It comes with the territory. We might face hardship because of our Christian commitment, or we may have challenges just from living in a fallen world. Either way, Christians follow in the footsteps of our suffering Savior and participate in his suffering.
But that’s not the whole story. Missionary Paul Borthwick and pastor Dave Ripper show how transformation through our personal pain enables us to minister faithfully to a hurting world. They candidly share about their own struggles and how they have seen God’s kingdom advance through hardship and suffering. Though we naturally avoid suffering, Christians throughout church history have become powerful witnesses to Christ as a result of their brokenness.
Life is painful, but pain need not have dominion over us. Instead, it can propel us in missional solidarity with our suffering world. Come find comfort and renewed purpose in the fellowship of the suffering.